May 15, 2012

Voice Swagger

"Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning." - Maya Angelou

This, I think, is why it's so important to focus on character's voice when writing. If a character does not have a voice, aside from the dialogue given to him, then he really isn't a character at all but just a series of words and events wanting to mean more. I've thought about this a lot today. Voice is tricky. Difficult. It's something that an author hears in his head and that he hopes translates into the readers as well. Not only does the author have to think about the main character's voice (if there is one), but he must think about the way the secondary characters would sound through that view point as well.

Um. Tricky. But I think this explains it well:


I'm thinking that I should write a little diddy that gives examples of (1) my style and (2) how I develop a character's voice.

*raises eyebrow*

I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment