March 18, 2013

Interview with Priya Kanaparti, author of Dracian Legacy


1) Morning, Priya! Welcome to the blog and thanks for being here. I'm so glad we got the chance to talk with each other and finally sit down to an interview! Dracian Legacy is your debut novel. What made you want to write about the supernatural?
I’ve always been very interested in Supernatural stuff. It’s my favorite genre in t.v. shows and reading books, so it only seemed natural that I write in that genre. 
 2) Do you have a favorite character in Dracian Legacy? 
Yes I do. I know many authors say they can’t pick on, as it’s kinda like asking a mom to pick your favorite kid. And I guess I like playing favorites. Lol. But my favorite is Dean. 

3) For you, what was the most difficult part of writing Dracian Legacy? 
I think writing was the difficult part. I had never written anything in my entire life, I mean apart from the thesis, presentations, school papers. So over the past year, it took me quite a bit of learning to show Dracian Legacy instead of telling it! 

4) Did you have any specific songs or movies you listened to or watched while writing? 
No, not while I was writing. Most of the times, I just write in silence. But when I’m editing, I like to listen to music. For some really odd reason, if I’m listening to music while editing and finding issues, I tend to make the story better. Werid. I know! 

5) What comes after Dracian Legacy? 
I’ve got a book 2 planned into the series. It’s called Dracian Origins – Sarajeha Levetri. And then the third and final book in the trilogy. 

6) I love your cover for Dracian Legacy! Can you tell us who designed it and how you came up with the concept? 
The amazing, ridiculously talented Regina Wamba is my cover designer. She pretty much came up with concepts based on what I had told her about the book. We worked through nearly 7 different cover design concepts and about 4 revisions of this cover, before we were satisfied. 

7) What book are you reading right now? 
The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski 

8) I have an addiction to gummy worms while I'm writing. Do you have any crazy habits? 
Lol. Funny, I’ve mentioned Gummy Bears in Dracian Legacy. You should totally check out this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47EUaIFrdQ and as for crazy habits, I’m just one crazy person, so everything people consider crazy is quite normal for me. Lol. 

9) If you had to pick one piece of advice to give to an aspiring author, what would it be? 
Um… This is tough. There’s the usual keep writing and write for yourself advise or there’s keep your regular job and write for your pleasure advise. But really, I’m not sure what I would give an aspiring writer. I guess do what best works for you? Because, that’s what I’m doing. I write when I want to write. I read when I want to read and heck If I spend a week or so not writing, I try not to panic. But the important thing was for me to do what best works for me. 

10) And finally, do you have any secret projects you can tell us about? 
Why YES I Do! I’m working on a NA Contemporary romance and a Special surprise for all fans of a character from Dracian Legacy. That’s all I can say for now!




 Priya Kanaparti was born in India, grew up in Detroit, and is now settled in Boise, ID. She attended Wayne State University for her undergrad degree in Bachelor of Science in Biology, and University of Phoenix for her Masters in Business Administration. Priya works as a project manager in software field during the day and lives in the world of her characters during the nights and weekends. She had found the love for reading and writing in 2012, when she stayed home with her son and needed something to occupy those ‘downtime’ hours. She loves playing tennis on a good summer day and chess during the cold winters, but reading and writing has become a year round hobby. She lives in Boise with her husband, son and a Yorkie. Dracian Legacy is her debut novel. 

Feel free to visit her blog 



1 comment: