May 22, 2013

On Diversity (Again)

Quick post today.

I came across this awesome photo on Twitter today:


Divergent. The Hunger Games. Percy Jackson. Harry Potter.

Seriously and without sarcasm, this photo is awesome. As are the books. As are the authors. As are the characters. As are (for the most part) the movies. 

But when I saw this photo, I looked at it for a few seconds. I didn't like something, but I didn't know exactly what it was. I couldn't put my finger on it. And then it hit me. 

Where is the diversity?

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE these books, their authors, and the characters that live on their pages. I wouldn't change a thing about them. But I do think it's time for diversity to grace the literary stage in the form of heroes and heroines. See my posts HERE and HERE on diversity. And the truth is that there are a lot of amazing and diverse books out there (Legend by Marie Lu). So, why not? It's time, I think. Although I will say (like I say HERE), a diverse point simply made for the sake of being diverse can ruin the entire point - it's about leading by example not by lecture. Story must come first, of course, and nothing should ever be forced simply to make a point - when that happens, often the point is lost. And I think it's time for some new colors (also, gender/sexuality/age/etc) in the way of heroes and heroines.

What do you all think? 

9 comments:

  1. A valid point. I don't know whether it's an issue for writers of color to deal with because all these authors are Caucasians. Do we need a writer of color to write about a character of color so that he or she is not attacked for racial sterrotype/prejudice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome comment, Darith! I think that it's possible for anyone no matter their race/sexuality to stereotype characters when they write them, which is why story should be more of a focus than character. Unless, of course, the story is about said character's diversity. Still, I believe anyone can write about anything - especially when it comes to diversity. That is, after all, what diversity is all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a writer of color I have to say go ahead and write characters that aren't you. Why? You are already. Most writers are not hermaphrodites yet they tend to have male and female characters. We write about demons and angels, vampires and werewolves. Yet somehow it is harder to write a believable Asian character or let your major gay character out of the closet (I'm looking at you JK Rowling).

    I think its more about what we're exposed to. It is easy to fall into the trap of writing the familiar. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I've started to notice the distinct lack of diversity in my own writing. I'm making a conscious effort to improve this in upcoming books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've just finished a novel with black and white characters. We need to break out and write characters of color and ethnicity. Break the bonds

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I've just finished a novel with black and white characters. We need to break out and write characters of color and ethnicity. Break the bonds

      Delete
  4. This is how I originally described my character Jonathan in MYTHOLOGY:
    "He’s wearing all black – a black suit with simple, elegant lines, a black dress shirt, black shoes. He has dark eyes, a dark complexion, jet-black hair."

    Jonathan is of French descent. I didn't explicitly specify race because honestly, I wanted in part to leave it up to the reader to make connections to my characters in various ways. I think I envisioned him more as being related to the Moors (Arabian descent) when I originally wrote him. Then people started making all of the Caucasian fan art... some of which includes authors that you might know. ;)
    Just thought you'd find that interesting.

    And Ms. Salazar (Hispanic) used to be Ms. Chen, but all of my betas automatically assumed it was me, so I had to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments all! I agree - people say to write what you know, but that isn't exactly true when it comes to anything. Writing is an experience in itself. Great conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think Percy Jackson fits here.
    He is, after all, the son of Poseidon. He didn't choose to be who he is and how he looks. And if you check the books, diversity there is. Mind you. On the second book he finds a brother who is a cyclops. His best friend is a goat.
    Harry Potter, *ahem* where does he come from? He is who he is. He, by the creation of his author, was born that way.
    The Hunger Games, trust me when I say, if you live in a community of people who look a certain way and cannot *move to any other place to find a different mate, chances are that they will marry and have kids that will look like the rest.
    It isn't that the characters don't go, it is just the way of the story.
    Take my favorite book: Little Bee.
    You just can't put the wrong characters in the wrong story.
    Do I think more books should be written with more different *types of characters? Of course. But each one needs a suitable story. Not a guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great conversation, everyone! It seems we're all saying pretty much the same thing. Like I said in the original post, "Story must come first, of course, and nothing should ever be forced simply to make a point - when that happens, often the point is lost." Let the writing find its way out.

    ReplyDelete